Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: Dumbledore

As you know if you've been keeping up with my posts and/or tweets, I have been reading the famous Harry Potter series. I'm only on book two, which is going a lot slower than book one for some reason, but I'm enjoying them quite a lot. I took three quizzes, including the one on Pottermore, and I turned out to be a Hufflepuff in all of them. So I'm basically a "super Hufflepuff" as one of my friends said. I think it's accurate! 
Anyway, back to the quote. I found this picture on the internet, don't know who the source is, but if it belongs to you please tell me and I will credit you or take it down and switch it with something else if you wish. I was just too busy this week to draw up my own as I have the past two weeks. 
I absolutely love this quote. Albums Dumbledore says a lot of meaningful quotes in the series (most popular is the "turn on the light" one), but I'd never seen this one before. It's probably my favorite of his now that I have.
I wrote a poem for a scholarship competition last week that is along the lines of this quote. Instead of saying words are magic, I said that words were like a superpower. With superpowers and magic, you always have someone that uses their powers the wrong way. That's where we get villains and Voldemort. With words, it's where we get bullies. It's amazing how often people use their words to hurt people instead of help them. In Harry Potter, I have more hatred for the Dursleys and Draco than I do for the main villains, because I just can't stand bullies. I can't wrap my head around the concept of disliking someone so much that you absolutely have to be mean to them. There are people in my life that I don't particularly like to be around, but I try not to express that towards them. Put yourself in their shoes.
I think I'll just share my poem because that's basically what I have to say about this subject.

Words have so much power.
The power to heal,
To inspire, 
To attract,
To amuse,
To teach, 
To excite,
To change a life for the better.

But they also have the power to hurt,
To embarrass,
To scare,
To damage,
To weaken,
To abuse,
To change a life for the worse,
Or even end it...

How can people allow their words
To rip into someone's chest
And break their heart and tear them down,
When they could just as well be using their words
To fix a heart,
Or to build someone up?
How can 26 simple letters
Arrange into such conflicting sentences?

"I hate you" can turn into
"I love you"
Just by changing 3 letters.
So why, when you feel like expressing hate,
Don't you change 3 little letters
And express love instead? 

Use the power of your words
For good, not evil.
Fight off the devil on your shoulder 
And use your words
To heal,
Inspire, 
Attract, 
Amuse,
Teach,
Excite,
And lift people up.

I love words. I love using them to inspire people and make people laugh. I love books and music and plays. I love when words give me chills down my spine and butterflies in my tummy. 
But I also hate words when they're used to hurt someone in the many ways I mentioned in my poem. Bullying and the misuse of words will always be a mystery to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment