Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: "Normal"

The other night I was laying in bed blogging in my brain. My awesome friend Mollie (artsylamentations.blogspot.com) made a "Music Monday" post this week, and it inspired me to do a weekly thing as well. Here is the first installment of Wordy Wednesdays! Wednesday is always my busiest day of the week, and it will be even busier when I start college since it's the only day I have 3 classes instead of 2, plus dinner with my friends. But there's always time for writing, right?
Quote of the week:
"Normal" is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
I found this quote on Pinterest (of course) and decided to illustrate it a little with my fancy new markers. It was said by Morticia Addams in the Addams Family, which I've never seen, but I would certainly like to at some point. 
I love this quote, and any quote about being "normal" or "weird" because my whole life I've sort of embraced my weirdness. My best friend and I always say "Weird is short for awesome," and it's really true. What could be more awesome than being so confident that you're not afraid to be labelled as "weird"? When you don't care what random people think of you, life is so much easier and better. Besides, what even is "normal"? 
The quote says it is an illusion, which basically means normal doesn't exist. Everyone is so unique and different that we all have our own definition of normal. Well, technically the definition is always the same.
Normal: conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
There are things that are just universally normal. Like having skin and wearing clothes. But when something "weird" or "unusual" happens to you every day, you grow accustomed to it and it becomes normal for you.
For example, my dad has two motorcycles. One day I brought a friend to my house and we went in through the garage where one of the bikes was parked. My friend was pretty impressed, and it dawned on me that not everyone has a couple of motorcycles sitting in their garage. I walk past them every day. I used to have to walk around them to get to the refrigerator. To me, those motorcycles are normal, even though to most other people they're not.
During my time in high school, I was not "popular," even though my mom likes to believe I was. There's that specific category of "popular" people, you know, the girls with really long hair that either wear dresses and heels or leggings and chacos depending on the day, and have huge friend groups and go to those mythical high school parties (which I'm sure exist, but I've never seen one in real life). And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being one of those girls, I just never was one. My friends are all geeks, and I love them. Although I wasn't surrounded by "popular" people, I did manage to befriend a few of them. When you become friends with people who seem so cookie-cutter perfect and "normal," you realize that they're really not. They have that "weird" side to them, they just hide it really well in public. So even though they seem like they fit into this "normal" standard and all, they still have their own little quirks and oddities. Everyone does.
No one is perfect, no one is normal, and everyone is freaking weird and we all should learn to embrace our weirdness and just be ourselves! Life is so much easier when you're not focused on trying to be normal or to look a certain way or to say the right things or fit in with the right group of people. And if you still really want to be "normal," think about this:
Everyone is weird. That means being weird is usual, typical, and (should be) expected. Therefore, weird is normal. And awesome. And everyone wants to be awesome. So don't be afraid of what people might think or say, chances are they're too busy worrying about themselves anyway. Be your own weird self.
Take a drama class, everyone there is weird in the best way possible.
 

1 comment: