Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wordy Wednedsay: A Life Worth Writing About

I've always loved writing. When I was little, I wrote short stories all the time. I have a couple binders full of them. I wanted to be a writer. My stories were imaginative and kind of silly, full of talking animals, magic trees, fairies and pegasuses and lots of wild adventures. 
When I got a little older, say 4th through 6th grade, I thought being a journalist for a newspaper or something was more reasonable. I was on the newspaper club at my school and wrote a lot of articles for it. I realized around that time that I didn't particularly enjoy writing about current events. I wanted adventures.
In middle school, I didn't think much about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was in art club, drew a lot, and loved all of my English classes. Freshman Composition was my favorite (9th graders were at the middle school at this time), partially because I love the teacher. I had her for two other English classes during my time in middle school.
High school is where everyone starts thinking about college and what they really want to do with their lives. My thought process went a little like this:

"Maybe I'll just be a teacher. I have to do something with my life. It wouldn't be that bad... Teaching?? Lydia, you hate kids of all ages! What are you thinking? Okay, maybe I'll be a graphic designer. I'm kinda good at art... I've lost all my artistic ability somehow, so maybe I'll just major in music and play piano all the time... No no no no, I don't even know how to read sheet music properly, I just play by ear 80% of the time. *joins drama* DRAMA???!!!?!? DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA THEATRE ACTING TECH TECH TECH TECH TECH I WANT TO DO THIS FOREVER I LOVE THIS GIVE ME ALL THE THEATRE FOREVER!!!!!! .....chill, Lydia. You can't major in theatre. That's not a very smart idea. BUT I LOVE IT!!! No, do something smart. You can do theatre on the side... I hate school. Maybe I'll just stop after high school and go be a professional model. Everyone says I'd be a good model anyway... You idiot, you know you hate the thought of being a model. Sure it'll get you a pretty nice paycheck, but have you seen how clumsy you are when you walk? And have you seen the crazy things they put models in? C'mon, you can handle 4 more years of school, you're smarter than you think... Okay, maybe I'll major in technical theatre. That's not as risky as acting. And I have so much fun being a techie... Hmm forensics class is fun. Maybe I'll do something with that... Nahh... Psych? Psychology seems cool. I have psychological issues and maybe in the future I can help people with theirs! *takes psych class* Nahh... *edits a paper for a friend* *edits a paper for a girl I babysit* *edits everything anyone ever says or writes or types* .....You know what? I should be an editor. It's always come naturally to me. And with a job like that, I could easily do theatre on the side every now and then. I could even write a book at some point! I've always wanted to be a writer! Yep! That's what I'm going to do. Wow I'm so happy I've finally figured it out!!!"

And I've been happy with that decision ever since. 
But in relation to the quote, I've always wanted to go on the adventures that my brain thinks up. I want to write about adventures, but I want to write about the adventures that I've experienced first-hand. Maybe there are some stories in my memory worth writing about, and maybe someday I will write them. But for now, I think my "What the heck am I going to do with my life?" story is worth writing about. And it's funny that I've come full circle. I think all the way back to my childhood days of writing, and now here I am, going to start college to major in English and edit and write. Little me would be so proud. In the next few years, I hope to create even more memories worth writing about, and maybe even make up some more mini adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment