Sunday, July 20, 2014

Random Wreath Making

Last night I spent a really long time at my boyfriend's house with him and all of his friends because they wanted to watch a League of Legends tournament. I'd sat through one of them before, so I figured this time I could crochet while they watched their game and listen to their goofiness and eat pizza. But what I didn't expect was having craft time with my boyfriend's mom during the last part of the tournament. She came downstairs and asked me if I was interested in making something with her, and I said sure! Anything would be more entertaining than a bunch of video game stuff that I don't understand.
So I went upstairs with her and she showed me these big bins full of all kinds of ribbon and two wreath frames. The plan was to wrap the wreaths in ribbon and make them look pretty. I'd never made a wreath before, but there's a first time for everything! We were going to glue on the ribbon with a hot glue gun, but then she had the (less messy) idea of holding the ribbons on with little pins (I kind of hate glue, so this made me happy). It actually turned out really well for both of us! The wreath she made was red and gold, and she said she'd add more to it when Christmas comes around and she gets inspired by something. I went with a New Year's theme.
I realized that it could also be used for a graduation party. 
Obviously I couldn't do a step-by-step with this, but I'm sure you could find some on Pinterest! What we did was we wrapped the base color ribbon (in my case, gold) all around the frame. Then we chose another smaller ribbon to wrap on top of the base (blue). What I did for my little bow was a little odd, but I'll explain anyway. I tied a blue ribbon around the wreath with the knot in the front. Then I cut a piece of blue ribbon and a piece of gold ribbon the same length and slid them under the blue knot and tied them on top of it. At this point I just had a big knot with some pretty ribbons hanging down. I was running out of gold, so I found an extra piece that was kind of wrinkled at the ends and slid it under the knots and tied it like a bow. I cut off the ends as close to the knot as I could so it just looks like the bow is connected to the gold ribbons hanging down. I cut triangles out of the ends of the ribbons to make them look fancy. Then I stuck pins through the knots just in case, and voila! 
The way I have it, I could stick little decorations on it depending on the occasion. But I'm really happy with how it turned out! It probably took about an hour or so, maybe less. I might start making more...

When I came back downstairs, I discovered that I'd missed the beginning of a pool tournament.
So they wouldn't let me play until their little brother decided he was done and had me fill in for him. I won the first round I played and just barely lost the second. All of us have kind of become obsessed with this game. 
After the pool tournament, they started to play this "scary" video game called Outlast, and none of them really wanted to keep playing, but they wouldn't stop because they're weirdos. I had to be the one to suggest a game of Ninja to finally end it. You're welcome. 
That was a fun night, and I really enjoyed making a wreath! 

No comments:

Post a Comment