Friday, July 18, 2014

The Power of Pinterest



Pinterest is probably one of the best things to ever happen to social media. I read somewhere recently that Twitter and Facebook are "look at ME!" sites, while Pinterest is a "look at THIS!" site. I love it because it's so organized and you don't have to search too hard to find exactly what you're looking for. "Pinterest is my Google." 
Since I started blogging, I made a board on Pinterest specifically for everything I find related to blogging. There are so many helpful things on this site for blogging beginners! 
I think the most popular thing about Pinterest is the wide variety of DIY tutorials you can find. Even just some suggestions that give creative minds a starting place for crafts and interior design and gifts and makeup and nails... I could go on forever. Here are some of my Pinterest-Inspired accomplishments:
My weekly calendar made from a frame (super cheap at Walmart!). Tessa had fun with it...
I came across a painting of a tutu, which inspired me to paint Tessa's costume from her first competition dance on a little canvas. I plan to paint each competition costume for the next two years.
The icicle lights I had around my room died, so I took them down. I hated how empty that little piece of wall above my closet looked, so I printed out a bunch of Instagram pictures and hung them up with yarn and clothes pins.
I covered a cork board and reupholstered my desk chair with some cheap fabric I found at Walmart. Both are holding up nicely!

There have been more, but some are gifts that have not been given yet... 
While Pinterest is awesome and fun and helpful and inspiring, it's also addicting! I tell myself all the time that I should be DOING the things I'm repinning instead of sitting here repinning more! And obviously I do force myself away from my iPad to make these things every now and then, but there are a lot more crafts in my DIY board that I haven't done yet! 
There are also so many helpful links for college students that I've discovered since my friends and I are headed in that direction. Ways to save money, alternative sites for buying and renting cheaper books (which I realized last night are ridiculously expensive- there is no valid reason for them to cost that much!), and multiple links to lists of what to pack for people living on campus. 
If you find any of this appealing, you should make a Pinterest account and follow me as well. Another cool thing about Pinterest is that you can follow specific boards a person makes, so if you don't care to see me repinning hand lettered stuff all the time, you can unfollow that board! And if you just want to see what I pin in my DIY board, that's all you have to follow. 
Happy Pinning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment