Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: Think You Can

Hello again! I'm writing this from the very quiet, but extremely cold, reading room in my campus library. I seriously need a pair of gloves.
This week's Wordy Wednesday quote is a quote I've known basically all my life. My mom had it hung up on the refrigerator to motivate us. I feel like it might have had something to do with my hatred of math... 

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford.

This is the essence of a positive mindset. People who believe in themselves are more likely to succeed, while people who doubt themselves are less likely. I tend to get very negative when I don't do well on new things, but my mindset has changed a lot so far this school year. I know it's only the third day of school, but I'm already feeling like the Little Engine That Could. "I think I can! I think I can!" 
I've talked to a few people who seem more apprehensive about their first semester of college, saying they don't know how they'll remember all their assignments or get them all done. Well, getting a planner will help with remembering, and time management is a beautiful thing (that I still need to work on as well). There are simple remedies to all your worries that you will find if you just think a little more positively. If you think that you can, then you will. However, worrying and thinking that you can't will do nothing good for you. 
Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. You're moving, but you're not going anywhere. Your thoughts are running at 100 miles per hour, but you're sitting still, doing nothing productive and not getting nearly as much excercize as that over active brain of yours is. So get out of that rocking chair and step on a treadmill and take a Positive Walk. Instead of sitting there worrying about your first big test in a class, STUDY. Instead of worrying about writing that paper because you hate writing, suck it up and start brainstorming. Your best shot will be better than nothing, and nothing is exactly what's going to happen if you're sitting there thinking you can't. 
Think you can. Even if you know math isn't your best subject, say to yourself "I think I can" and give it your best shot. Even if your best shot doesn't meet your standards, don't give up. Keep trying and staying positive thinking you can. Don't be afraid to ask for help, even if doing so makes you uncomfortable and being tutored makes you cry for some unknown reason (yes, that's me). Go into the tutoring session with a craving for new knowledge, not just for a better grade. 

Okay, I hope this post has been a lot more motivational and inspiring than the last (very unsuccessful) Wordy Wednesday! Tomorrow I'll post about my first week of college. Be prepared for a strange, unconventional first-day story.

No comments:

Post a Comment