Sunday, August 24, 2014

My First Week of College

I've done it! I have successfully completed my first week of college! Now I'm sure you're wondering how it went. Let's start with the very first day. 
The morning of my first day of college, I went to the high school and gave one of my former teachers a present. Then I went straight to the college campus. When I got into the parking lot I figured I would try to find the closest spot possible. In the process of driving through the isles, a big truck decides to back out just as I'm driving behind him. Let me just say that I already hated trucks. I've always hated trucks and nothing can convince me not to, especially after that occurrence. I did NOT get hit, thank God, because if I had I probably would not be going to college this year out of pure hatred for the parking lots. I circled the building, discovered that the smallest parking lot is the student lot, got mad about that, and finally returned to the student lot and parked in the closest spot I could find. At this point, that was the first spot I saw. At the very end of the building. I knew there were probably a few empty spots closer up, but I just wanted to park because my toes were still shaking from the near-truck experience.
Once I had calmed down, I went into the building. When I got to he student center I was so happy to see that one of my friends was already there. I sat with her and then a couple of my friends showed up. I waited there until I figured it was time to go to my English class. 
When I got to the classroom I looked in the window and it was dark, but then I realized that the teacher was already teaching. I was thirty minutes late to my first class because it started thirty minutes earlier than I thought it did. Luckily the teacher was really nice about it and didn't mind. 
After English, I had 15 minutes until History, so I went straight to the room. I had a snack since the class would go through my normal lunch time and waited. And waited. And waited. The class sat there for quite a while until a lady came in and basically told us to sign a sheet of paper for roll and leave. Our history teacher wasn't there for the first day if class.
So that was my very interesting first day. 

The rest of the week went a whole lot more smoothly. My math teacher seems great and we started the first unit on our second day of class. I absolutely despise my Orientation class because it is a complete waste of 50 minutes of my life. When we finally met our history teacher she turned out to be really funny. The reason she missed the first day was because she had had surgery and was on a lot of pain meds that were making her feel crazy. "The bed was VIBRATING!!!" My English teacher is nice even though she messed up a couple of things during the first lecture which makes me worry a lot... And then Theatre appreciation on Wednesdays... Yeah that's going to be fun. I've already sealed the "teacher's pet" spot. Really though, I was quite intrigued by Craft's philosophical lecture about a pipe, a toilet, and Halle Berry. So I am looking forward to that even though there are people I desperately want to avoid in there. 
Which reminds me, there are way too many kids from my high school there. I heard someone describe going to the community college as "High School Part Two." It's great that I have a few friends from high school there, but then there are the people that I still want to avoid, if not more than I used to. 
On the bright side, I have made a few new friends! One in math, two or three in history, and two guys who sat with me during my lunch break. I even remember all of the names that I asked for (one of them left before I could ask)! 
Homework so far hasn't been too overboard, but today I did feel a bit weighted down with history reading. It feels a bit strange having homework for almost every class, because in high school I would probably only have homework for math and occasionally for English. I don't recall ever having history or science homework except for projects. But now I have to read chapters for history and English and do math homework (which isn't much so far) and journal entries for Orientation and Theatre. It's different, but there's plenty of time to get it all done and it's not like I have to read huge chapters in one night, because I have at least two nights to finish them. 

That's basically how my week has been. I've enjoyed my lunch breaks on Tuesdays and Thursdays and my long breaks on Wednesdays that give me time to write my Wordy Wednesday posts. I feel like I'm going to spend a lot of time in the library on Wednesdays because it is gloriously silent and comfortable. Sadly I can't enjoy the reading room because of the arctic temperature, but that's okay. I know I've posted SO MUCH about college the past couple weeks, but now that it's part of my life I'll move on with it and start blogging about other things again. 

1 comment:

  1. You're doing great! Keep up the good study habits and focusing on your homework assignments. :)

    ReplyDelete