Saturday, August 9, 2014

Bandana Bracelet DIY

A little over a year ago, our little pomeranian named Sugar had to be put down because of her many health issues. She was 7 years old and we were very sad to have to let our sweet princess go to dog heaven.
Yep, she was pretty adorable. 
Whenever Sugar went to the groomer, she would always come back with a cute bandana around her neck. We threw away most of them after they got worn out, but a few of them were in pretty good shape. We had about 4 left after she died, and it wasn't until today that I decided to do something with them. I already had the idea to make bracelets, so that's what I did!
I took three of them and decided to braid them together. I lined them up and used a ruler to draw a straight line across them.
Then cut...
Then I tied them together at the top and taped them to my desk.
Then I started braiding...
I braided pretty loosely because I wanted the patterns to still sort of be seen. I estimated about how long I'd need it to be for my wrist and then tied it off. 
At this point I wasn't completely sure how to tie it into the bracelet form, but I ended up taking a scrap piece of fabric and using it to tie the ends together. Then I cut off some of what was left, leaving some hanging off and looking a bit like a bow.
And tada!
I personally like how it looks! And the fabric is somewhat stretchy so I was able to just slip it over my hand and onto my arm. 
Here's Sugar wearing two of the bandanas I used in this project:
She stuck her tongue out a lot.
So now I have a cute little bracelet to keep a memory of her with me. 
Tomorrow I'll post a step-by-step of making a headband out of one of these bandanas with the help of my seamstress sister. 

1 comment: