Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Outside The Standard Deviation

Oh look another post about theatre!
Last week and the week before, I spent some time at Bob Jones to help with their competition play and watch it evolve. Honestly, I wasn't so sure about it at first, but after a few tweaks and costumes were added and the set was completed, I knew it was going to be extremely successful at competition.
District competition was this past Friday and Saturday, and I was so happy that I was able to be there to watch my friends compete with their Individual Events (IE's) (like monologues, duets, pantomimes, etc.) and to see their original play, "The Standard Deviation" yet again.
I was excited to see James perform his IE's, so I went with him to both of them. The first one was his comedic monologue. We got to the room to find that the only other people there were the two judges. I was the only audience member. So that was kind of strange, especially when his monologue ended and I was the lone applauder. But he did great, of course!
Now, I'm not going to tell the whole story about his duet, but basically it didn't happen until much later than it was scheduled to. It was supposed to be before our play, but it didn't happen until afterwards. Again, I was the only audience member.
My friends, Erin and Sarah did two duets together. I got to see their classical duet, but I didn't get to see their awesome pantomime this time...

When awards finally came around, I was going through my list of awards I knew the one act had in the bag already. Before the one act awards, we found out that James' monologue and both of Erin and Sarah's duets made it through to State! The duet that James did got superior scores, but they were disqualified because he was filling in for another actor and their director didn't know they had changed their rules for substitutes. I was also really proud of one of the kids that was in the beginning drama class I student directed last year for making it to State on his first year of competing!
Finally, it was time for one act awards. They got every single award I expected and more. 3 all-star cast members, Best Actress AND Best Actor (what?!!), Best Scenery, Best Costumes (which I called before the costumes were even finished), and they qualified to compete at State competition! They cleaned up that table of awards!
I am beyond proud of the actors, techies, and directors of this show. I can't wait to see how they do at State, but I am so sad that I won't be able to be there to support them this time... I know they'll do marvelously as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment