Thursday, January 8, 2015

Arm-Knitted Blanket


It was a grueling process, but I arm knitted a blanket! The tutorial I watched said it should take about 45 minutes to an hour. However, I was able to watch three movies while making this thing. It took me a whole lot longer than an hour and my arms were pretty tired by the end of it. Anyway, here are the pictures I took along the way.
I used three huge (hacky sack for comparison) skeins of soft blanket yarn. In the video I watched, the girl had regular sized skeins, so I'm not sure how she was able to finish her blanket since I didn't have much of these left when I binded off, especially since I casted on less than she did.
The pattern called for 32 stitches. This is what 20 looked like on my very long arms. I honestly have no idea how the small girl in the video was able to get 32 stitches on her arms. I managed to get to 30 but decided that two more would be pushing it, so I started knitting with 30 stitches.
There are some progress pictures. I had to put it on a wrapping paper roll to go to dinner. When it was on the wrapping paper roll, I was at 10 rows out of the 23 that the pattern called for. It already looked pretty long. After dinner I kept going until I was finished and it started to get even longer and more difficult to take pictures of from where I was.
At least it was keeping me warm! I was very happy when I finished it and could not believe how big it was! I expected it to be more of a throw to put on my lap or around my shoulders, but the final dimensions were roughly 45 inches wide and 63 inches long. 
Beagle for reference.

So that was my experience arm knitting a blanket! I will probably never do it again, but at least I can say I've done it. I'm just going to stick to scarves and headbands and maybe a shawl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment